From the Hamilton Harron Funeral Home website:
“Located in Vancouver, Hamilton Harron Funeral Home dates back to 1912, when Hamilton Mortuary operated from the back of Hamilton Hardware & Furniture. George Wesley Hamilton began the business and was joined by his son, Mark Hamilton, in 1925, followed by his 2nd son, Bill Hamilton, in 1930.
TO THE 3RD GENERATION
During World War II, the business moved to the Mount Pleasant area, where it remained in operation until 1954. At that time, George Hamilton and his sons moved the business to its present location at 5390 Fraser Street in Vancouver, British Columbia. In 1960, Bill’s son, Frank Hamilton, joined his father, uncle and grandfather and brought the business into its 3rd generation of ownership by the Hamilton family.
RENOVATIONS AND ADDITIONS
Ernie Harberd bought the funeral home 12 years later. Harberd had moved to Vancouver in 1968 to purchase Burrard Funeral Home, which closed its doors in 1980. That same year, Hamilton Mortuary completed the addition of its Dogwood Chapel, named for its ornately carved doors, each bearing 6 panels of British Columbia’s native flowers. In 1982, the Loewen Group purchased Hamilton Mortuary and completed minor renovations the same year, changing the name to Hamilton’s of Vancouver.
In the early 1990s, Hamilton’s of Vancouver merged with Harron Brothers to become Hamilton Harron Funeral Centre. Alderwoods Group then purchased the location in 2001. After a total renovation, Hamilton Harron Funeral Home became a Dignity Memorial® provider in early 2007. As a member of North America’s largest network of funeral, cremation and cemetery services, we look forward to continued service to the families of our community. “